A Medical School for the 21st Century

The new home of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences

• Returns the school to its historic roots on High Street, where it was located from 1893 until 1953

• Is the largest construction project in the university’s 171-year history

• Contains 628,000 square feet of classroom and lab space, equivalent to about 11 football fields or 14.6 acres

• Is Buffalo’s first building with an NFTA Metro Rail station inside

This state-of-the-art building will strengthen medical education by

• Integrating clinical and basic sciences education

• Promoting active and team-based learning

• Emphasizing cross-disciplinary collaborations among physician-scientists, faculty and students

• Fostering learning and training in an innovative modular teaching environment

 

It strengthens health care in the community by

• Addressing local and national physician shortages by expanding class size 25 percent, to 180 students

• Recruiting 100 world-class physician-scientists and medical specialists to pioneer new treatments and help advance medical care 

• Increasing access to new, groundbreaking medical treatments and therapies

• Strengthening the region’s academic health center, composed of research, teaching and clinical partners centrally located on the  Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus

It features

• A signature, energy-efficient LED light tower rising 32 feet and made up of 128 panels programmable to virtually any color

• A spectacular seven-story atrium with 650 panels along its perimeter, comprising 19,000 square feet of glass

• More than 27,000 exterior panels of locally sourced terra cotta, designed to evoke Buffalo’s rich architectural history

And is the result of

• The talents and skills of more than 3,000 construction workers

• Construction contracts with minority and women-owned businesses totaling $59 million

• A dedicated team of UB employees who coordinated the move to downtown Buffalo

Made possible by

• Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo signing into law the NYSUNY 2020 bill in 2011

• State and UB capital appropriations

• The support of the UB Foundation

• Donors—alumni, community leaders, corporations and foundations—who gave to a $200 million campaign for the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, including:

    175 Circle of Visionaries members, who made individual gifts totaling $100,000 or more

    207 Circle of Leaders members, who made individual gifts totaling $25,000 to $99,999

    887 former and current Jacobs School medical faculty and staff who collectively donated a total of $17 million

    a historic $30 million gift from Jeremy M. Jacobs, chairman of Delaware North and the UB Council, and family. In recognition of the     Jacobs family’s gift, and of Mr. Jacobs’ tremendous service and philanthropy to the university, the UB medical school was named in     their honor.