Department of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences
Medical Director ECMC Blood Bank/Hematology Lab
Blood Banking/Transfusion Medicine; Hematology - Clinical Pathology
My main interests are Transfusion Medicine (Blood Banking) and Hematology
Laboratory. As Medical Director of the Blood Bank and the Hematology Laboratories at ECMC, I have the following Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Direct Scientific & Technical Operations of the ECMC Blood Bank/Hematology Labs
2. Ensure that the Blood Bank Hematology Labs Test Procedures are according to Standards/Rules/Regulations of the governing bodies (JC/NYSDOH/AABB).
3. Adhere to the Laboratory Services Quality management Standards & ensure accurate reporting of test results
4. Provide consults/advice to referring Physicians/providers regarding the significance of Blood Bank/Hematology Lab findings & interpretation of data
5. Maintain effective working relationship with applicable accrediting & regulatory agencies, administrative officials and the Medical & Nursing communities.
6. Define, implement & monitor Standards of performance in Quality Control & Quality Assurance for the Blood Bank & Hematology Labs.
7. Prepare/Update Quality Plans for the Blood Bank & hematology lab, and ensure that these Quality Plans are being complied with.
8. Monitor ALL work in the Blood Bank & Hematology labs to ensure that medically reliable & accurate test results are generated.
9. Ensure that both Blood Bank & Hematology Staff participate in monitoring & evaluating the quality appropriateness of services rendered within the context of the Quality Management Program.
10. Ensure that sufficient qualified Personnel are employed with documented training and/or experience, and that they have valid licenses.
11. Ensure that all Staff participate in Continuing Education activities: By attending live sessions, or via webinars, teleconferences and online sessions.
12. Work closely with the Patient Blood Preservation Committee, to ensure that all patients are adequately receiving blood/blood products.