The Behling Simulation Center at the State University of New
York at Buffalo is a center of excellence with a mission to serve
in a position of leadership to foster highly collaborative,
interprofessional health sciences education between the students
and faculty of the UB Academic Health Sciences Center Schools in
the application and use of simulation technologies for the
improvement of health care education.
The Center will fulfill this mission through implementing the
following core values:
- The simulation center is committed to developing a model
interprofessional education curriculum utilizing a variety of
simulation methodologies for education, evaluation, and research
that will encompass all the AHC schools.
- The primary use of the simulation center is for
interprofessional education that involves students from at least
two of the AHC schools participating in educational experiences
designed to improve interprofessional performance, reduce medical
errors and promote competent and excellent patient care
- The secondary use of the simulation center is for continued
practice of skills and competencies by students from individual
professions or departments.
- The simulation experiences will be facilitated by trained
experts employed in the simulation center allowing Health Science
faculty to participate as content experts and send learners with
confidence for patient care management experiences.
- The simulation center is committed to preparing and supporting
AHC faculty in the application of simulation methodologies
(including but not limited to standardized patients, human patient
simulators, virtual reality technology, and task trainers) to
interprofessional education with the goal of improving patient
safety and outcomes.
- The simulation center is committed to supporting faculty
scholarship as evidenced through publications, abstracts, invited
presentations, grant submission and grant funding.
- The simulation center is committed to encourage and support
faculty development through active involvement in professional
simulation societies and specialty organizations.
- The simulation center will provide learning experiences that
encourage positive interprofessional communication and interaction,
problem-solving, decision making, and crisis management in a
- The simulation center is committed to preparing competent
practitioners with strong patient management and interprofessional