Our department is ranked seventh within the UB medical school for research funding.
We receive support from a diverse funding stream that includes local, state, national and federal sources.
Among others, our funding sources include:
- the National Institutes of Health
- the Department of Health and Human Services
- the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation
- the Erie County Department of Mental Health
- Health Resources & Services Administration (HRSA)
Sarah Abdelsayed, MD
- Primary Care Training and Enhancement - Residency Training in Mental and Behavioral Health. Sarah Abdelsayed (Principal Investigator). Health Services and Resources Administration (HRSA). 12/1/2022-9/1/2027.
- Gender Institute Grant. Sarah Abdelsayed (Co-Principal Investigator). University at Buffalo Faculty Research Award – Mothers Justice Project. 12/1/2022-12/1/2023.
- Addiction Medicine Fellowship Training Support. Sarah Abdelsayed (Co-Principal Investigator). Tower Foundation. 11/1/2022-6/1/2023.
Linda Kahn, PhD
- CDC -Research Grants to Identify Effective Strategies for Opioid Overdose Prevention (R01)- A Rigorous Evaluation of the Opioid Intervention Court Strategy – a Public Health Response. Linda Kahn (Co-Principal Investigator). CDC. $1,962,000. 9/1/2019-9/1/2022.
- Expansion/Enhancement of Family Treatment Drug Courts. Linda Kahn (Principal Investigator). SAMHSA. $2,125,000. 9/1/2017-9/1/2022.
- SAMHSA – Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (FR-CARA)-Naloxone Expansion with Local First Responders and Emergency Department-Initiated Care Coordination for People Who Use Opioids. Linda Kahn (Co-Investigator). SAMHSA. $1,600,000. 9/1/2018-9/1/2022.
- UB Primary Care Research Fellowship Training Program. Linda Kahn (Principal Investigator). Health Resources and Services Administration. $2,000,000. 7/1/2016-6/1/2022.
- Lackawanna Drug Court Evaluation Services. Linda Kahn (Principal Investigator). US Dept. of Justice, Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA). $99,364. 1/1/2019-12/1/2022.
- Impacts of Covid-19 on drug treatment courts: adaptations to remote technology. Linda Kahn (Principal Investigator). Baldy Center for Law & Soc. Policy, University at Buffalo. $4,509. 7/1/2021-6/1/2023.
- Erie County NY First Responder Opioid Epidemic Task Force Support Program. Linda Kahn (Co-Principal Investigator). SAMHSA. $2,900,000. 9/1/2022-10/1/2026.
- The Mothers Justice Project: Exploring the experiences of pregnant and parenting women with substance use and justice involvement. Linda Kahn (Co-Principal Investigator). The Institute for Research and Education on Women and Gender, University at Buffalo. 1/1/2023-12/1/2023.
- UB Family Medicine Residency Didactic Training in Behavioral Health. Linda Kahn (Co-Investigator). HRSA. $2,500,000. 12/1/2022-9/1/2027.
Andrea Manyon, MD
- Workforce Resiliency Training Program: Cultivating Resilience at Work: A Mindful Approach to Combating Burnout for Healthcare Workforce in Rural and Underserved Areas. Andrea Manyon (Co-Principal Investigator). Health Resources and Services Administration. $2,280,000. 1/1/2022-1/1/2025.
Ranjit Singh, MB BChir, MBA
- Buffalo Primary Care Champion Program in Addiction Medicine & Population Health. Ranjit Singh (Principal Investigator). Health Resources and Services Administration. $1,989,439. 9/1/2018-4/1/2024.
- UB Clinical Scholar Program in Implementation Science to Achieve Triple Aims. Ranjit Singh (Co-Principal Investigator). National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. $3,154,332. 9/1/2017-8/1/2023.
Andrew Symons, MD, MS
- Residency Training in Mental and Behavioral Health (PCTE-RTMB). Andrew Symons (Co-Principal Investigator). Health Resources and Services Administration. $2,500,000. 1/1/2023-12/1/2028.
- Community Prevention and Maternal Health Development Award. Andrew Symons (Co-Principal Investigator). Health Resources and Services Administration. $2,800,000. 7/1/2021-7/1/2026.
Laurene Tumiel Berhalter, PhD
- Susan G. Komen of Upstate New York- Engaging Patients in Breast Health through Patient Ambassadors, Mobile Mammography, and Education. Laurene Tumiel Berhalter (Principal Investigator). $45,567. 4/1/2020-3/1/2021.
- You Can’t Change Family History But You Can Change what You Do With It. Laurene Tumiel Berhalter (Principal Investigator). Patricia S. Brown Breast Cancer. $210,000. 10/1/2019-9/1/2022.
- Erie County, NY Opioid Mortality Review Board. Laurene Tumiel Berhalter (Co-Principal Investigator). Department of Justice. $999,999. 9/1/2018-9/1/2021.
- Effectiveness And Implementation Of A Research Tested Mobile Produce Market Designed To Improve Diet In Underserved Communities. Laurene Tumiel Berhalter (Co-Investigator). NCI. $3,254,105. 12/1/2017-11/1/2022.
- NAVIGATE. Laurene Tumiel Berhalter (Co-Investigator). NSF. $450,203. 7/1/2017-6/1/2022.
- Tonawanda Coke Environmental Health Study. Laurene Tumiel Berhalter (Co-Investigator). US District Court for the Western District of New York. $11,100. 9/1/2016-9/1/2026.
Bonnie Vest, Ph,D.
- Substance Use in Reservists: Social and Environmental Influences. Bonnie Vest (Co-Investigator). National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health. 6/1/2013-9/1/2023.
- The Erie County NY Comprehensive Quick Response Program (QRP) to Overdose. Bonnie Vest (Co-Investigator). Bureau of Justice Assistance. 10/1/2020-9/1/2023.