Certificate Request Procedure

A new procedure has been created to streamline certificate requests for Training Program Administrators (TPAs), Office of Graduate Medical Education (GME) staff and residents and fellows. 

Please follow the instructions below.

For June and July Graduates:

  1. Log into the Resident Update System (RUS).  Contact Jason Crosby with questions about your login information or to troubleshoot technical issues.
  2. Locate prepopulated certificate requests for current residents and fellows who will be graduating in June or any “off cycle” trainees who will graduate in July.
  3. Click "Preview" to view the certificate proof.
  4. If you would like your trainees to view the proof, click on “send to resident for review” and a copy will be emailed directly to the resident or fellow.
  5. If changes are needed, TPAs will be able to make edits for name changes (i.e., middle name customization and to correct spelling/capitalization). You can also change start and end dates by clicking the "edit" link.  NOTE: Official name changes must be requested via email to the GME Office. All graduates’ legal first and last name MUST be reflected on certificates.
  6. All credentials must be filed with the GME office to be reflected on certificates. Email a copy of each degree or MD conferral to the GME Office to have our files updated.
  7. Be sure to save your changes.
  8. Certificates will not be processed without formal approval from the program. Once it has been determined that the proof is satisfactory, click the "Approved" box which will send a notification to the GME Office that the certificate is ready to be processed.
  9. If an additional certificate (i.e., chief resident) is required, click on the “request another certificate” link and submit the request which will send an automatic notification to the GME Office.
  10. Once the certificate has been signed by the Dean of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, you will receive an email from the GME Office stating that the certificate is ready to be picked up.

For Off-Sync Trainees Graduating in August and Forward:

  1. Log into RUS.
  2. For “off cycle” graduates who will graduate after July, a certificate request will need to be manually submitted by the TPA.
  3. After clicking "NO" next to "Will this resident be continuing in this program?", you will be asked to provide a reason from the drop down menu and confirm the end date.
  4. If the date that is automatically populated is not correct, or if someone is graduating earlier or later than expected, contact the GME office to ensure that the proper process is being followed.
  5. Once completed, contact the GME office to proceed with processing the certificate.

Requests for Non-ACGME/CODA/AOA-Accredited Programs

  1. Log into RUS.
  2. Click the “Enter Certificate for a Non-Accredited Resident" link located at the bottom of the page (under the save button) to submit a request for non-accredited fellows.
  3. Enter name, program name, start date, and end date.
  4. Click “submit”.
  5. A notification will automatically be sent to the Office of Graduate Medical Education.

Requests for Former Residents & Fellows

  1. Log into RUS.
  2. To request duplicate certificates for past residents/fellows, use the “Enter Past Resident Diploma Request” link located at the bottom of the page (under the save button).
  3. Enter First and Last name.
  4. Click “submit”.
  5. An automatic notification will be sent to the GME Office.
  6. Please Note:  The certificate will be signed by the current Dean of the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and the current program director.

Have questions or need support? Contact:

Jennae Howard.

Jennae Howard

Education and Resident Services Administrator

Office of Graduate Medical Education

955 Main Street, Room 7230, Buffalo, NY 14203

Phone: (716) 829-6124; Fax: (716) 829-3999

Email: jennaeho@buffalo.edu

As of February, 2018