This rotation teaches you how to care for patients at different stages in their recovery journey in the outpatient setting.
Working with a multidisciplinary team that includes counselors and site physicians, you’ll:
- help facilitate individual and group counseling sessions
- interview family members to learn about the way addiction impacts family dynamics
- conduct psychometric tests
- assess and manage withdrawal syndromes as they appear in an ambulatory setting
- identify appropriate candidates for office-based opioid treatment
- develop treatment plans
- participate in multidisciplinary case conferences
- learn a variety of treatment options that puts the patient first. Examples include a mobile unit that drives to at risk patients with limited access to care, community centers offering healthy lifestyles and recovery housing
This eight-week rotation enhances your understanding of mental health/comorbid psychiatric assessments and complements your continuity clinic training.
You won’t be assigned cases during this primarily observational experience, though you will work with the treatment team to facilitate individual and group counseling sessions.