Out-of-Town Elective

You may take out-of-town electives at any of the more than 200 clinical institutions and hospitals with which we have affiliation agreements.

Approval of out-of-town electives are made on an individual basis, considering the academic value of the elective and your academic status.

Students have 11 months to complete 8 courses and must save time for interviews. Application dates vary from school to school. You may need to take a vacation month before or after an out-of-town elective rotation to fit their schedules.

Visit the VSAS List of Institutions to search for the application dates.


Only fourth-year students in good standing are eligible to take an out-of-town elective.


A current affiliation agreement must be in place between UB and the training institution.

No more than four out-of-town electives may be taken and no more than two out-of-town electives may be taken at the same institution.


  1. Discuss the possibility and advisability of taking an out-of-town rotation in a comparable department with the appropriate Jacobs School department chair or course coordinator.
  2. All medical students receive an email from us about the process of taking out-of-town rotations. If you wish to take an out-of-town rotation, you must email your response to the following questions:
    • Have you had ACLS training? If yes, provide expiration date.
    • Have you has BLS training? If yes, provide expiration date.
    • Have you had a mask fit test? If yes, send a copy of the report.
    • Have you had a criminal background check?  If yes, when and send a copy.
  3. Upon receiving your email, we will send you authorization to log into VSAS.
  4. Log into VSAS and apply for the out-of-town rotation.
  5. After applying for the rotation, we will upload your transcript and any other supporting documents that you need for your VSAS application.
  6. You will receive confirmation on whether you were accepted into the out-of-town rotation.
  7. Upon acceptance, you must complete the Out-of-Town Elective Form and hand to the corresponding Jacobs School department coordinator for processing.
  8. The UB department notes their approval on the Out-of-Town Elective Form and forwards the form to the Office of Student and Academic Affairs for filing.  
  9. You must complete the drop/add form and give to the corresponding Jacobs School department to be registered for the course.


Send all correspondence about out-of-town electives to:

Philippa A. Radzawich.

Philippa A. Radzawich

Office of Student and Academic Affairs

955 Main Street, Room 1205, Buffalo, NY 14203

Phone: (716) 829-2802; Fax: (716) 829-2798

Email: pr@buffalo.edu